Chicken Noodle Soup
|1 chicken - (2 1/2 to 3 lbs) - quartered|
1 large onion - diced
2 carrots - cut 1" pieces
2 celery ribs - cut 1" pieces
4 ounces (Atkins) Spaghetti cuts - broken 1" pieces
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice - (optional)
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Place chicken, onion, carrots, celery and four cups of water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Pour soup through a strainer into a smaller pot. Reserve chicken and discard vegetables. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bone and cut into 1/3-inch cubes.
- Add chicken cubes, spaghetti, lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir well; cook two to three minutes over low heat to heat through.
- Comments: If you wish, substitute one can of reduced-sodium chicken broth for 1 1/2 cups of the water.
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Net Carbs: 3.5 grams
Fiber: 4.5 grams
Protein: 49 grams
Fat: 5.5 grams
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 30 Calories
trace Fat (3.7% calories from fat)
2g Dietary Fiber
963mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable