Coq Au Vin
|1/2 cup Atkins Bake Mix|
2 chickens - (6 to 7 lbs total weight) - cut 8 pieces each
1/4 pound sliced bacon
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion - chopped
1 carrot - chopped
1 celery stalk - chopped
2 garlic cloves - pressed
2 cups dry red wine
1 can reduced sodium chicken broth - plus
1 can water
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound button mushrooms
- Spread bake mix in a plate; dredge chicken pieces, tap off excess.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble and set aside.
- Add oil to bacon fat in Dutch oven. Brown chicken in batches. Transfer to a platter.
- Add onion, carrot and celery to Dutch oven; cook 8 minutes, until softened.
- Drain excess fat. Pour in wine; increase heat to high. Boil wine until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken and accumulated juices to Dutch oven. Pour in chicken broth and water; add bay leaf and thyme. Reduce heat to low; cover partially and simmer 45 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook mushrooms until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to stew, along with reserved bacon. Remove bay leaf.
Carbohydrates: 8.5 grams
Net Carbs: 6.5 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 70 grams
Fat: 40.5 grams
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 118 Calories
4g Fat (55.2% calories from fat)
1g Dietary Fiber
83mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch)